Through this set of documents, you will become familiar with a certain vision of the evolution of technology.
The idea of Progress
- All the documents show how progress influences people and situations.
- Progress can be seen as negative through the perspective of tools. The more complex they are the more they make us regress.
- Phones and tablets may be seen as a gigantic progress but sometimes it can be a social regression if we forget the real people next to us.
- Phones have been progressing a lot in technology and are more like tiny computers than phones anymore.
- Robots can be a real impressive progress for humanity if they can help and do what humans cannot anymore.
- 3D printers can now help people get artificial limbs for less money. It should open this progress to a lot of populations.
- Virtual reality might help people travel, discover and dream in the future.
Spaces and Exchanges
- Phones, tablets, computers and internet are great communication tools. It helps millions of people keep in touch.
- Sometimes, people can be more inclined to talk to people online than to exchange with real people next to them.
- Virtual reality might become more than just watching virtual world but we might meet real people there and feel we are in the same place.
- Robots might become our companions in the future. Talking and exchanging with them will become quite natural in the future.
Places and Forms of Power
- Tools give us more power over lots of things but we must be careful not to become dependent on them.
- Smartphones give us access to a lot of knowledge and capacities at any time. In a way, it makes us more powerful.
- Robots might help humanity in a lot of domains but we might wonder about the power we should grant them.
- Tool: outil
- Monkey: singe
- Gesture: geste
- Screen: écran
- Antenna: antenne
- Artificial limb: membre artificiel
- Spear: lance
- Rake: râteau
- Pneumatic Drill: marteau piqueur
- Virtual reality headset: Lunettes de realité virtuelle